Navigation

HomeContactShopPR FriendlyFacebookPinterest

Sunday, July 15, 2012

The Dirty Dozen & Clean Fifteen


Here is a list of the 2012 “dirty dozen” and “clean fifteen". It's best to try and get the "dirty dozen" in organic, if possible. I have to admit, I'm less adamant about washing my local & organic produce than I am with the commercially grown stuff. However you really should wash all fruits and veggies before consuming! Here is a simple, cheap, & easy DIY produce wash.


Here’s what you’ll need:
1 empty spray bottle (used up, empty all purpose cleaning bottles work great! And they are free!)
2TB baking soda
2TB lemon juice
1 cup white vinegar
1 cup water

  1. Put the baking soda in the bottle first, then add the lemon juice, vinegar, and water slowly (make sure the kids are in view for the cool science experiment!). I like to measure out the water and vinegar in the same 2 cup liquid measuring cup, and pour them in together slow.
  2. Gently swirl the bottle around with the top off to get all the gas out and let the fizz subside (do you like how scientific my choice of words is?! To be honest I don’t even remember all the science-y reasons vinegar and baking soda react, but I probably should learn them so I can, ya know, sound like I know what I’m talking about!)
To wash, just spray your veggies and let them sit a few minutes before scrubbing them up. I usually put my strainer in the sink and toss them in there to soak/drain. 








No comments:

Post a Comment